Saturday, October 27, 2012

Literacy Station Menu - Digital Download

Well, I've survived the first nine weeks of school...barely.

It's Saturday and I just got back from working in my classroom for the second weekend in a row. The sad thing is that if the school was still open, I'd still be there.

I desperately keep trying to get ahead, but I'm slowly getting the feeling that getting ahead won't EVER happen. Someone please tell me it's not true...

-------------------------------------------------

So far, I've been really proud of my students during literacy stations. Most of them stay right on task with each activity and everyone is getting the hang of the dos and don'ts of literacy stations...yay!

This past week was a stressful one because we were observed by people from our district. We have some improvements to make on our campus, but thankfully we also received a lot of positive feedback, too. I stressed and stressed over this visit, but I was counting my blessings that they came during our literacy stations...

My kids ROCKED it!!!

I did forewarn them about the visit - mainly because I wanted my students to know that if they're asked a question, it's OK to talk to these people. You know kids, they have a tendency to give that "I'm not supposed to be talkin' to you!" look and zip their lips (of course, during instruction they're chatter boxes though)!

Despite the stress everyone felt, my kids did their everyday routine perfectly. They worked at their stations, showed off their work, and stayed right on task just the same way they always do!

Part of the reason I feel my kids do such an awesome job at literacy stations is because we call it "Literacy Menu." 


What's so different about that?

Well, it's just that...it's different. And my kids thrive on working differently.

I give them a Literacy Menu that they must keep in a folder all week long. In that folder, they also compile any activity sheets that may be at a station. At the end of each week, they turn in their Literacy Menu and receive rewards if they were on-task and completing the stations as expected.

It makes literacy stations so easy to run and keep track of! And? It's all because it's "different" that the kids like what they're doing and do it well.

If you'd like a Literacy Menu for your classroom, you can download one from my Teachers Pay Teachers account. I'd love to hear your feedback, too! 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...