Monday, April 8, 2013

STAAR Wars Bulletin Board Designs - Texas Standardized Testing

It's April and the STAAR test is right. around. the. corner. My students have been working so, so very hard this year and while I'm nervous about their performance on the state assessment, I'm ready for them to show off their knowledge!

Since I teach third graders, we'll be testing on April 23 & 24. We have two weeks before the test. Two weeks for my partner and I to remind our students just HOW smart they are, just HOW much they've learned this year, just HOW much they can do completely on their own! We're all about boosting self confidence over the next couple of weeks and we have several things up our sleeves in order to make that happen...

I'm starting off slow, though, and I'm showing you one of those things first.

{I hope to be able to show you the other in time for testing in case you'd like to use it in some way for your kids, but we'll see how quick we can get it done!}

So, first are the STAAR WARS bulletin boards we have created! This theme has been floating around throughout many different places, but we chose to rock this theme when 5th grade teachers on our campus let us order some shirts they had designed that were STAAR WARS-themed.


Here are some larger images if you'd like to see each in more detail. We used the tagline, "May the skills be with you" and posted strategies (for math AND reading) in each of the bursts!


The only "negative" critique we got from our students is that, "Luke has BLOND hair!" Duh! What were we thinking?! {We're totally not Star Wars people; we had NO clue.}


We took the shirt idea and decided that since our boards were facing each other, we could, in some way, make it look like Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker were "fighting" across our hallway.

I'm a little unsure of whether or not we achieved that completely, but regardless, our kids have loved the bulletin boards! We're all about making our kids happy because that's what helps them become successful! :)

In case you'd like to design a STAAR WARS bulletin board of your own, I'm supplying you with the letters and some taglines to attach to your bulletin board...for free! As far as Darth and Luke go, well, I may or may not have "free-handed".

Note: "Free-handed" requires quotes because I cut them and drew them without an outline, but I relied heavily on images of both Darth and Luke that I had googled. It really wasn't that difficult, although my teaching partner refused to believe me. My advice though: give it a shot! You CAN do it! :)
Want to create one of your own? Download these STAAR Wars Bulletin Board Letters & Taglines for free from my TeachersPayTeachers store. Enjoy!! :)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...