Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dictionary Guide Words Cut & Paste Activity - Digital Download

Recently we've been working on building dictionary skills in our classroom. Can you say tough?

I never remember thinking that it was difficult to use a dictionary when I was younger. Then again, I don't actually remember being taught how to use one. It's likely that I was, but it's also likely I just learned it because I was curious. (I'm definitely a hands-on, kinesthetic self-learner in many ways. Not in a snobbish way; I'm just naturally curious slash nosey.)

I also wasn't totally and completely surrounded my technology as a child, like the generation that I'm teaching.

Guide words seem to be what my kids are most hung up on & what they need the most exposure to. Because of that, I decided to make up an activity that forced them to really think about guide words...not just flip through a dictionary until they found a word.



This activity is PER-FECT.

This entire download includes letters A-Z and each page has overlapping of letters so that students have to determine which 'A page' a word goes on (etc.).

My kids worked on this at a literacy station last week and they loved it. I was also being observed that day and this activity was brought up later as a 'great idea!' Whoooooooop!!!

So, what do you think? Usable in your classroom? Have any suggestions -- I'm all ears!

P.S. Happy ItsAlmostChristmasBreakWeeeeeeek!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...