Saturday, September 22, 2012

What Questions Do Readers Ask? - A Pinterest Find

Pinterest...ahhhhh!

I feel so fortunate to be a classroom teacher and have access to Pinterest. It has been the source of so many great ideas for my classroom - my circus theme, my back-to-school gifts, classroom resources, and so many things I have yet to post and share here.

First of all, if you'd like to follow me on Pinterest, you can: click here to be linked directly to my 'Ideas for Teaching' Board.

Then, don't forget to let me know what your Pinterest link is, too. I love finding new educators to follow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



My very first Pinterest-inspired poster was this one, which I call What Questions Do Readers Ask?

In third grade, we're talking a lot about good readers asking themselves questions. Good readers should always ask questions before they read, while they read, and after they read to help build their comprehension. 

I'm so proud of my kids because they can correctly answer questions about WHY we ask questions (which sounds a little silly), but I'm constantly engaging in this specific dialogue in my class:

Teacher: As good readers, what should we do?

Students: Ask questions!

Teacher: When should we ask questions as readers?

Students: Before reading, during reading, and after reading!

Teacher: Why is it so important to ask questions as readers?

Students: Asking questions as readers helps us build our understanding and comprehension!

*round of applause for my class, please*

Haha!

When I originally found this poster on Pinterest, I traced it back to The First Grade Parade, where this teacher used it as a What Readers Read poster.

But, I knew that I wanted to change the content, and just borrow the layout that this teacher created because I LOVE IT!



My kids absolutely love it and we reference this anchor chart constantly. For some reason, they found it fascinating when I told them I made this at my house. I got a lot of questions about, "Teachers have homework, too?"  

My answer is, "You bet we do!"

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...