Monday, January 21, 2013

Vocabulary Word of the Day - Digital Download

By the time a child gets to me in third grade, the biggest problem I face is their lack of vocabulary.

A word isn't considered to be "in your vocabulary" unless it's used in both written and spoken language. I talk about this with my kids constantly. I stress the importance of building your vocabulary & always do my best to use rich vocabulary to explicitly state my points. Then, I often face questions like, "What does this word mean?" *start important discussion about vocabulary again*

As I sat one weekend thinking about how on Earth I could help build my kids' vocabulary, this idea came to mind.


No, it doesn't automatically mean that this vocabulary will become a part of each child's written & spoken vocabulary, but it exposes them to words they might have not heard before. It opens up in depth discussion about "big words" with deep meanings & gives you, the teacher, the opportunity to help a child build their vocabulary.

This digital download includes a cover page so that you can also create a vocabulary "book," or perhaps label a vocabulary spiral, whatever works best.

This vocabulary builder has children explore the number of syllables of a word, antonyms & synonyms for a word, guide words from a dictionary, parts of speech, and of course, definitions. Frequent or daily exposure to new words will help your students become more familiar with rich vocabulary, and this download will help you do that for your students!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...