Sunday, August 10, 2014

How To Get Permanent Marker Off of Plastic - Classroom Tip

I worked in my classroom every day last week. Some days were longer than others, but overall I spent a lot of time at school working, working, working.

By Friday afternoon, I was sitting in my room taking it all in and feeling quite overwhelmed again. I really think I have a problem that many teachers face...I want to buy SO MUCH for my classroom! I look around and see old, reused materials - things that aren't perfect - and I want to replace those things with new, shiny, clean things.

But, I can't. Because if I did, year after year, I would never have any money! *insert pouty face*

So, instead, I selected a few items that I would replace, and decided to fix everything else!


Some of my "fixable" items were these plastic baskets. I bought these for next-to-nothing from a retiring teacher my first year. She had previously used them as cubbies for her students, so they were each numbered for that purpose.

That year, I honestly didn't even care about the marker on them - they were nearly free! I used them as-is in my classroom library and they served their purpose just fine. Not once did my kids ask about the numbers!

This year, however, I knew I wanted to clean them up a bit if I was going to continue using them. Earlier in the week, when my youngest sister was helping me in my room, I had her try the finger nail polish remover method...NO LUCK.

When that failed, Google came to the rescue and suggested this method: Dry Erase Marker. Success!!!



How To Get Permanent Marker Off of Plastic
1. Use dry erase marker to color over permanent marker. (Hint: Color in entirety. I made several "coats" of dry erase marker by repeatedly going over the same spots.)
2. Wipe off dry erase marker with dry cloth.
3. Wipe off plastic with wet cloth.

Repeat process as necessary.

I hope this method works for you, too! It helped me save a little money by making these plastic baskets last at least one more year in my classroom. Yay!

Later this week, I'll show you what I decided to replace in my classroom! After all, that's the part that I'm REALLY excited about!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...